Thursday, January 01, 2015

Primary Ponderings in Abu Dhabi

That is what my site will be titled next year.  A couple of years ago I started looking into teaching internationally.  It’s something I have always wanted to do but haven’t.  There was always something ‘guilting’ me to stay put.  With both my daughters in their teens, the oldest in college and the youngest with a sense of adventure, I decided it was time.  From browsing the internet, the agency that stood out to me was Teach Away.  Of course, I wanted a job in Italy, Switzerland, or Australia.  These were not to be found.  I applied on line and the next day received a call for a phone interview.  I was accepted for a position in Abu Dhabi!  Where is that?  I had never heard of it!  They wanted me to go right away.  I couldn’t go right away --- I had a job, house, commitments.  I began preparing my parents (I’m an only child) and children that I would eventually be doing this.  I decided when my youngest completed grade 12, would be a good time.  That is spring 2015.  I told my rep at Teach Away this and my file was put on hold. 
Over the past two years we have researched Abu dhabi, Teach Away, and many teacher blogs that are teaching there now.  The excitement grew.
This past fall, I reawakened my file.  I had to do another phone interview for everything to be brought up-to-date.  On November 22nd I went to the Harbour Castle in Toronto for an in-person interview. 
The first step was to check in with all of my paper work – copies of passport, degrees, criminal check, reference letters, OCT certificates, resume, passport photos, medical form. 
Next step was a small group session first.  We watched via satellite, as two women filled us in on some of the ADEC policies, contract info, what to do if you don’t like it, and a few cultural differences.  They were both very friendly and wearing what business women in Canada might wear.
Then we went back to a waiting room to wait for our individual interviews.  I had expected the room to be filled with young new teachers.  This was not the case at all – there was 1 that I would say was under 30.  The rest were middle-aged.  I talked to a man beside me that told me he was from Nova Scotia and had been teaching internationally for some time.  He takes a two year contract, then comes back for a year – doesn’t work – visits family and friends, then travels to visit friends he has met from around the world.  Then he repeats it.  Sounds good to me!  My hope is that this will lead me to connections to teach in other countries.
I was first up for the IPI.  What a difference experience!  I was led in to a big conference room with an open laptop sitting on a table.  From a distance, I peered around to see who would be interviewing me.  There was a woman, maybe in her 50’s, and a man, 30ish.  I sat down and put on the headphones.  I have never skyped or anything before, so this was really different.  The woman was quite strict with her questions and her reactions to my responses.  She had me a bit nervous as she seemed to dismiss everything I said.  The man was more casual.  [Good cop, bad cop?  I don’t know.]   When I left, I really wasn’t sure how I did.  The rep’s told me I would hear in about 6 weeks.  Ok, I am ok with it either way.  I have a job I love, at a school I love!

On Monday, Nov. 24, after school, I got an email with a Letter of Offer!  The interview was only Saturday!  That was awesome.  I was so excited – a few tears escaped!  Now the process of authenticating all my documents has begun.  I cannot find my diploma for my teaching degree.  It was too long ago!  I had to contact the college and pay, and am now waiting for a new one.  My lawyer’s secretary said it will be about $200 for authentication.


Happy New Year!

My goals for 2015:
1.  Sell my house
2.  Move to another country
3.  Invest some money
4.  Contribute $12000 to my RRSP
5.  Visit 4 countries
6.  Ride a camel
7.  Swim in the Persian Gulf
8.  Get a custom made abaya
9.  Shine God’s light more
10. Spend more time with God

What are your goals?

No comments:

Post a Comment