Sunday, October 12, 2014

HAPPY THANKSGIVING! Math & Language Centres

Yes, it is Thanksgiving weekend in Canada!  It has been a chilly but nice and sunny weekend thus far.  Yesterday Ella and I had a big fire in the backyard to get rid of all the giant branches that have been falling off the trees in my front yard.  It was extremely windy when they fell, but it does have me a little concerned about the winter --- I do not want a tree through the roof!

So, what do you think of this font?  It is one of my very favourites!  It’s called ‘Baby Boston’ (which could be a bit of why I like it - as I LOVE Boston!) and is from the best free font site on the web:  Fonts for Peas.  Check it out and add lots of fun fonts for free!

This past week my class discussed the origin of Thanksgiving and what we are thankful for in our own lives.  We made these mini-pumpkin books.  (I have used these in the past with grades 2/3/4 to do connections and retells.)


I also had an amazing mom bring in these cute turkey crafts.  Sometimes it is very nice to have a pre-made activity!

               



               

Here is a look at some of the Math Centres I did this past week:
Domino Addition from What the Teacher Wants.  Bull’s Eye Game to reinforce Place Value also from What the Teacher Wants.  I used wiggly eyes for the children to toss onto the game board.  And Even Steven, Odd Todd game to review even and odd numbers from First Grade A La Carte.             
Some of my Language Centres:
Puzzle names:  I premade index cards with students’ names.  I used this when I taught Kindergarten years ago, so to make it just a bit more challenging I used all the names from each group, cut them with more angles and mixed them altogether in a baggie.  It was fun to watch them use each others’ letters and then realize they didn’t have a rectangle.
Ordering months of the years and days of the week and Cut & Paste ABC’s.  Very sorry, but I can’t remember what teacher blog I got these 2 from.  If you find them please let me know.  Thanks!
And the fourth centre was putting the week’s sight words in alphabetical order.  This is our third week doing this and I think they are finally getting it.  J


            



                    Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment