Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Place Value (with some freebies!)

We have been working on Place Value for the past couple of weeks.  Isn’t it the best feeling when your little ones don’t have a clue what you are talking about at the start of a unit and by the end they know it inside and out?!  Here are some of the activities I used:

We started out with the Elmo (opaque projector) and just learning the Base 10 manipulatives.  Next we moved on to the Smart Board and the base ten manipulatives that are in the gallery.  The kiddos always love when they can play with the Smart Board – instant engagement!  At first I would pick the number, but once they got the hang of it, I had one student pick a number and another show it in Base 10’s.  Here is a picture of the format I was using:
I used these cute animal place value cards that I got for free at DoodleBugs.  I wasn’t sure how she used them, so I numbered them and the students filled out this recording sheet at a math centre:


We also made little folders.  I got this idea from Step Into Second http://stepintosecondgrade.blogspot.ca/search/label/place%20value  I used this sheet and filled in different 2-digit numbers for each student.  They determined how many ten’s and one’s and then cut them out and put them in the correct side of their mini-folder.  This also allowed for a mini-lesson on even and odd numbers.  Using bright paper and creating ‘mini things’ always excites kiddies!
 


As a mini assessment/exit slip, I used this page:




Hope you can use these!

                                                                                       Bonnie





No comments:

Post a Comment